Emergency Ride Home
The CTrides Emergency Ride Home (ERH) program is a service provided by the Connecticut Department of Transportation for employees who work in Connecticut and who regularly use an alternative commute to work. If an unexpected emergency arises, the ERH program will reimburse commuters who meet the guidelines below for their trip up to four (4) times a year.
Who Is Eligible
- Hartford Express Bus riders who use a monthly or 31- day pass
- Rail parking shuttle commuters going to/from the Westport, South Norwalk, and Greenwich train stations that use a monthly ticket
- Shore Line East Monthly Pass holders
- Carpoolers whose employer has registered for the ERH program
- Vanpoolers whose employer has registered for the ERH program
- Bicycle riders whose employer has registered for the ERH program
- Unexpected personal or family illness/emergency
- Unexpected mandatory overtime
- Vanpool / carpool driver has emergency; or unscheduled overtime
- Vanpool breakdowns
- Building evacuation or shutdown due to unexpected emergency
- Shore Line East train cancellation or delay (Only if next train going to rider’s station is more than two (2) hours later than original train’s scheduled departure)
- Rides to work
- Personal errands or pre-planned appointments
- Scheduled overtime
- Scheduled / unscheduled vanpool maintenance
- Weather-related events
- Transit systems delays/closures
- On-the-job injury
- Shift times that end outside of transit service hours
- Park & Ride lot or transit station where vehicle is parked
- Child's school or day care
- Medical facility
- Interim stops are accepted if they are part of the emergency (child’s school then home)
- An individual can submit up to four (4) reimbursement requests per fiscal year (July 1 – June 30)
- There is a max of $200 allowance per trip (commuters may submit documentation for rides over $200, but will only be reimbursed $200)
- On-demand ride services
- Co-worker reimbursement (at federal mileage reimbursement rate)
Additional Guidelines and Restrictions
- Students are only eligible for the program if they are a monthly Hartford Express Bus Rider who use a monthly or 31-day pass.
- Reimbursement requests must be submitted within 30 days of the trip.
- A qualified trip expense exceeding $200 will be paid at the capped amount.
- The ERH program is not to be used for emergency medical care in lieu of an ambulance or other appropriate medical transport service or for work-related injuries.
- Commuters whose trips or emergencies cannot be verified will not be reimbursed for their expense.
- Rail parking shuttle commuters only - Rides are available to or from Westport, South Norwalk, and Greenwich stations, whenever New Haven Line trains are running and shuttles are not.
- The ERH program may be changed at any time without notice and reimbursement requests do not guarantee payment.
- Only eligible for employees who work in Connecticut at their organization's Connecticut location(s).
Steps to Follow When an Emergency Arises: